The EU Advocacy adviser delivers NRC’s humanitarian advocacy efforts toward the European Institutions and Member States, supporting both headquarters, regional and country offices in influencing policies that can improve displaced people’s rights.
Based in Brussels, this is a key position that aims to strengthen the quality, precision and reach of NRC’s overall advocacy toward the EU/MS. The postholder’s action serves NRC Global ambitions and reinforces country and regional capacities on effective policy and advocacy strategies and activities.
- Advise and lead on advocacy efforts toward the EU and its Member States initiated by Head Office, Regional, Country Offices and/or other NRC representation offices.
- Monitor relevant EU/MS foreign policy developments affecting NRC’s work, provide analysis to support NRC’s understanding of EU/MS policies and processes, identify opportunities for influencing and inform NRC advocacy strategy and policy development.
- Propose, initiate, and implement advocacy initiatives geared to influence the policies and practices of the European Union and the Member States as part NRC advocacy strategies.
- Advise, inform, and support the development of global policies and/or country-specific advocacy strategies and recommendations in collaboration with other NRC Representation offices, Advocacy Advisers and Managers.
- Lead on the development / dissemination of high quality advocacy products: briefings, talking points, speeches, letters, reports, position papers, and other written materials for internal and external use as agreed.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with representatives of EU and Member State’s institutions on specific files. Represent NRC in various meetings and international fora.
- Provide analysis to key NRC staff in advance of main decision-making forums or relevant processes, policy developments, key dates, and activities.
- Organise or coordinate visits from field colleagues to Brussels to support NRC’s advocacy objectives.
- Effectively liaise internally with file-holders to ensure coordination, consistency, and alignment of NRC messages with NRC’s global policy positions and objectives.
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
We are looking for
- University degree or equivalent qualification in international relations, law, or social studies.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in humanitarian settings and complex crises.
- Demonstrated experience in leading humanitarian advocacy strategies that impact on major institutional decision-makers.
- Previous experience in representing NGO’s, donors, or UN agencies in formal settings.
- Understanding and interest in EU foreign policy, European institutions, and processes.
- Demonstrated experience in developing sound and actionable policy recommendations tailored to their interlocutor. Ability to present arguments in a structured, compelling, and articulated manner.
- Previous experience in drafting speeches, talking points, and position papers. Good research and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of international law, IHL, humanitarian principles and of the humanitarian system.
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to advocating for the rights of people forced to flee.
- Salary and benefits according to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
- Duty station: Brussels
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated to what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
We will be assessing candidates on an ongoing basis; therefore, early applications are recommended.
For more information about the role, please contact: Berenice Van Den Driessche, Senior EU Advocacy and Policy Adviser, Belgium, NRC NRC : email@example.com
For more information please open this link