I am a person who madly loves breakfast and I must say I have a pretty strong committed relationship with it. The first thing I am looking forward to when I wake up in the morning is my cup of coffee and a gorgeous breakfast; just the thought freshens me up.
Yesterday, I was watching Winnie the Pooh with my daughter and in it Pooh and Piglet are having a conversation that I literally related to in terms of my love and exciting anticipation of my breakfast almost, almost every morning, Well! Let’s face it, I am a woman and to be cranky in the morning sometimes is my divine right. Anyway, the conversation goes something like this;
When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?”
“What’s for breakfast?” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?”
“I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said.
Today, I just felt the urge to make something fancy for breakfast but my laziness creeped in. It got me wondering what I can make that’s quick and fulfilling, and hence, this Lazy Fancy Quiche came to be. This will take 10 minutes to assemble and let it bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes and it’s ready to serve hot and to the fullest of satisfaction.
The best part about this is that it can be made to any of individual likings like be it vegan, meaty, cheesy, non-cheesy, creamy or non- creamy, with salmon, mushrooms, rotisserie etc. etc. So it’s all about what you fancy.
Ever heard of the saying “breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper” – well! That’s true and if you really want to enjoy your day, go get a good hearty breakfast. It will even do wonders to your Health because science recently proved that people who have a wholesome and hearty breakfast tend to be healthier as compared to those who choose to skip it. Trust me when I say, when you opt for a fulfilling morning meal you will learn exactly what Alice said in Alice in Wonderland “why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast” and though she lists some very un-real things I conversely, list my own i.e. (1) can loose more weight when I eat more at breakfast (2) I too can have a refreshing day all day long with three kids running and screaming around (3) cleaning the house again and again with kids is not a chore (4) I can have a life of my own outside my life with kids (5) I can be a superwoman if I choose to be and (6) hubby can cook and serve me breakfast in bed somedays. Well what can I say, that’s my list
and those things just seem extremely possible and real to me when I’m looking forward to having a robust breakfast ahead; everything I can possible imagine impossible seems possible.
Okay enough of the chatter, let’s get right down to the recipe. Like I said it’s very quick and most of the time the ingredients are just sitting there in your fridge. One thing I would say is that do not over bake this because if you do, the eggs will become hard and the juicy bites that give this dish its lusciouness will be gone and furthermore, the exessive browned cheese just doesn’t look very appealing anyway.
Truth be told, once you make this, you will come back to this quiche repeatedly and with a different idea every time. It lets you play with your creativity to your full satisfaction.
So, what are you waiting for, Bon appetite!
Prep time – 10 min
Bake time – 16-18 min
Oven temperature 180*
Frozen Vegetables 1/2 cup (or if using fresh use any you like, carrots, cauliflower, peas, broccoli, beans, corn, spring onion etc etc.)
Pepperoni or any rotisserie chicken to liking (meat of any liking) accordingly
Mushrooms 7-8 diced
Pickles jalapeño 2 chopped (optional)
Onion 1 chopped
Green chilli 1 chopped
Salt 1/2 tsp
Crushed red chilli 1/2 tsp
Vegetable and Meat Shan Masala 1 tsp
Cream 1/3 cup
Milk 4-5 tblsp
Cheddar or mozzarella cheese 1 cup
Parsley or coriander accordingly
Oil 2-3 tblsp
- In a frying pan add 2 tblsp of oil and fry onions until translucent.
- Add the vegetables, mushrooms and green chillies.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp of crushed red chillies and 1 tsp of Shan meat and vegetable Masala.
- Stir fry this until it becomes a little soft and then transfer the stir fry to a quiche dish or any Pyrex oven proof dish.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on the dish.
- In a bowl crack the eggs and add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp crushed red chilli, milk and cream.
- Mix this all together and pour the mix over the vegetables making sure it covers all of it.
- Now place the pepperoni slices over the mix making sure they get soaked in the egg mix, or if you are using chicken add the meat with the vegetables.
- Spread the cheese on top of the whole assembled mixture.
- Chop parsley and sprinkle it on top.
- Drizzle some oil on the cheese to make it melt easily and this will give it a nice golden colour to the cheese.
- Place it in the oven in the Middle rack and bake it for 16-18 minutes at 180*